Labels

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Orginial Inquiry Question/Blog Post 1


I was thinking about what interests me that pertains to language and a little boy that I used to babysit came to mind. He was only 3 years old, but had the vocabulary and comprehension of a 6 or 7 year old. He had a little 1 year old brother who, although intelligent in his own way, didn't seem to be advancing as well; and that made me wonder what they would be like as adults. My fiance (at the time) and I always joked that the 3 year old would be a rocket scientist and the 1 one year old would play football. Although we only got to spend a short amount of time with them, the differences in how quickly they were learning was astonishing. It was weird to me that kids who share a lot of the same genes could be so noticeably different.  

So I've decided to explore a child's brain with this question in mind: How does a person's IQ connect with how early they learned to walk and talk? This area has always interested me because I’m fascinated with how the brain works. I’ve always been curious as to why some people learn faster and easier than others and if there is any way for one to improve their speed of learning. I do not know much about this topic however, so it will take a lot of research. In my opinion, I wouldn’t think that a child who speaks earlier is smarter, but I could be wrong…hence the research. I read somewhere the Einstein was not a very smart child, so that will be an area that I am going to look into as well. I think I’m going to start out by researching a child’s IQ or maybe look into baby geniuses. I’m not really sure how I came up with this topic to study. It is just the first thing I thought about whenever we were told we had to write a paper about language. I might look into this topic on the opposite spectrum as well. Maybe see how smart adults were as children, unless that’s the same thing? Idk. This is a hard topic I feel. It’s even hard for me to write this post. I’m thinking that I will probably end up changing or molding my topic at some point to make it easier on myself.

-Laure Capre Naragon

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good subject. Lots of research has ben done on early child hood development so finding anything on this topic should be easy. One thing you may want to look at child exposer to multiple people. I don’t remember the study but parent who take their children at a young age to restaurants and what not tend to do better in life later on.

    ReplyDelete